They’ve got serene names like Odyssey, Sienna and Murano. And while they may invoke peaceful images of space or serene beaches in some people they should bring up images of dollar signs in everyone.
What are they? They’re America’s cars with the lowest auto insurance rates of course!
Led by the popular soccer-mom minivan, the Chrysler Town & Country LX tops the 2011 list of cars with the lowest auto insurance rates from AutoInsuranceMonitor.com. With a national average cost of $1,092, the minivan is one of several on the top 10 cars on the list, which also include Toyota’s Sienna and Honda’s Odyssey. The list was put together based on insurance claims filed on a car model and since minivans were most likely to be used to ferry children, the drivers were typically more averse to risk, resulting in fewer accidents.
Below are the top 10 cars with the lowest auto insurance premiums.
|Rank||Make||Model||National avg. annual premium|
|1||Chrysler||Town & Country LX||$1,092|
|6||Jeep||Wrangler Unlimited Sport||$1,131|
However, if a five-door, four cylinder minivan sounds as appealing as watching paint dry and saving money on insurance premiums isn’t a concern then perhaps the Mercedes-Benz SL65 AMG is the right car. However, the average premium cost of $3,544 may be too cost –prohibitive for many.
Regardless of whether a driver’s chooses to drive the five-door Sienna wagon or the 12-cylinder Aston Martin DB9 Volante, these tips can help get low cost auto insurance for everyone:
- Keep it Plain For Low Cost Auto Insurance – This is clear by the rates shown here. Sports cars more likely to be in an accident or stolen will cost more to insure than non-descript SUVs and minivans.
- Pay More…On Deductibles – Drivers that want the lowest auto insurance rates should look hard at increasing their car insurance deductible. According to the Insurance Information Institute, raising a car’s deductible to $1,000 could save drivers up to 40% on premiums.
- Be Cool – Staying ticket and accident free goes a long way to getting the lowest auto insurance rates possible. Traffic accidents and tickets can affect drivers for years so drivers should drive carefully to get low cost auto insurance. Companies such as GEICO typically offer discounts to drivers who haven’t had accidents or tickets in the last five years.
- Don’t drive…kind of – To guarantee getting the lowest auto insurance available, drivers should carpool or use mass transit options more to save money and the environment.
- MVDs instead of WMDs – Multi-vehicle discounts ensure drivers will always get the lowest auto insurance possible and savings of up to 10% are available simply by putting multiple autos on one policy.
- Drop Collision Coverage – Drivers with an old car may want to drop this coverage since it only covers them for the listed dollar value in the Kelley’s Blue Book in case the car gets totaled. Also, if the repairs are more than the retail value, some policies won’t pay for the repairs.
- Disabling Devices – Car alarms or passive disabling car devices are easy ways to get the lowest auto insurance rates and help deter car thieves, saving drivers not only money but headaches in the event their car is stolen.
- Clump Coverage – Known as multi-line discounts, having a home and a car insurance policy with the same company helps drivers get the lowest auto insurance rates available.
- Always Shop Around – Bouncy cashiers and sensitive cavemen notwithstanding drivers should always compare how their current auto insurance stacks up against the competition to insure they’re paying the lowest auto insurance premiums.
- Safety Pays – Approved driving courses will help drivers get the lowest auto insurance available. And more educated drivers mean better drivers.
Download Full List of Cars with Lowest Auto Insurance Rates