To have low cost auto insurance means finding an auto insurance company who provides the best coverage for your needs at the lowest possible price. This is an obligation of the auto insurance companies but you, as the customer, must be guaranteed that what you are being provided is reliable and you are getting exactly what is being advertised and what you are paying for.
Searching for cheap auto insurance is not easy as there are many criteria that drivers must meet in order to qualify for inexpensive auto insurance rates. Auto insurance premiums are based on many factors, some of which you can control, and some of which are fixed. Age, gender and marital status all impact on your insurance rates and unfortunately you cannot control these. Statistically, teenagers and the elderly are more likely to have accidents, women make safer drivers and being married can lower your insurance rates. Fortunately, there are many factors you can control which can result in cheap auto insurance quotes.
- Where you live can impact on what you pay. If you live in rural America you are far less likely to have a collision than if you live in a city.
- Any driving violations will up your rates. Speeding tickets, running red lights etc. all count toward what your insurance company charge you.
- The type of vehicle you drive will count towards your premiums and if you have had any accident claims expect to pay more.
- You may be surprised to know that your credit rating and occupation can be determining factors on whatever your auto insurance company quotes you.
There are a number of other factors that go into determining your auto insurance premium. Some of these include; distance driven per year, distance to work, number of years driving experience and number of cars and drivers.
While searching for cheap auto insurance rates remember to take note of the discounts that may be available to you.
- Theft devices usually get discounts on auto insurance. Most new cars are already installed with theft devices so you may automatically be entitled to some form of discount.
- Applying for ‘multiple car discount’ can cost as little as insuring only one car. If this is not the case then the second car will most probably cost less than the original car insured.
- Choosing a yearly policy (rather than a six month policy) can extend your savings.
- Being affiliated with certain organizations, for example credit unions or college sororities, can lead to discount.
There are a number of auto insurance companies which offer low cost auto insurance. Listed below are some of these companies and their websites.
- USAA –although specifically for people connected to the US Military (including spouses, widows, children) the company offers extensive discounts. http://www.usaa.com/
- Allstate Insurance http://www.allstate.com/
- AARP – offer discounts specifically tailored for mature customers. http://www.aarp.org/
- Progressive Insurance http://www.progressive.com/
- Infinity Auto Insurance https://www.infinityauto.com/en/index.jsp
- Travelers Insurance https://www.travelers.com/
- GMAC Insurance http://www.gmac123.com/