Pssst…Insurance companies love student drivers with good grades. This and more ways to save on student car insurance
It’s a little known fact that car insurance companies like students but full-time students that carry a high GPA? Fuhgeddaboudit! They love ‘em!
You see auto insurance companies have researched that young drivers that are full time students and maintain solid marks in school show the type of dependability that equals better driving and less risk to insure. Less risk means more profits for your car insurance company.
However, because traditional students typically fall into the high-risk 16 to 24 age group, also known as the “young driver” category, and because this age group is riskier to insure due to statistically more car accidents and speeding tickets, student drivers need to work harder than any other age group to keep their car insurance premiums low.
While that may seem frustrating and unfair to student drivers, there are several ways students can save on car insurance premiums:
- Bs are good but As are better! – Students with a GPA of at least 3.0 could qualify for a 10% discounts with some insurance carriers. Higher GPAs could mean up to 15% savings on car insurance.
- Mooch Off Your Parents – Perhaps the best way to save on student car insurance is to get on your parents’ policy. This could easily save a student major dollars during these lean years. However, if you bought your own car you will probably have to put it their name but it’s something to look into.
- Don’t Buy Until You Do Your Homework – Researching what vehicles are cheaper to insure can save you hundreds of dollars yearly on car insurance. Your car’s make and model will have a big impact on what you will pay for car insurance so going with the boring sedan over the flashy SUV can save you major money right now.
- Go Safe To Save Lives and Money – Look for cars with safety features like air bags, automatic seat belts, or side-impact air bags which will qualify for sweet discounts with car insurance companies.
- Defense Wins – Complete a Defensive Driving Course to score a discount with your car insurance company.
- Slow Down – Speeding tickets translate into higher premiums for students especially the speeding kind so keep your speed down to keep your car insurance premiums low.
- Call A Cab – Use a designated driver or a taxi if you’ve been partying too much because Driving Under the Influence (DUI) or Driving While Intoxicated (DWI) violations will cause your car insurance premiums to skyrocket or you may lose your coverage completely.
- Driving Less? – Car pooling or using a mass transit option means less miles you’re driving and car insurance companies typically give discounts to students who keep their annual mileage low so check with your insurance company if you’re putting less miles on your ride.
Using the Internet also makes it easy for student drivers to shop around for the best car insurance premiums and one-stop websites such as AutoInsuranceMonitor.com are excellent sources because they allow you to get quotes from some of the best student-friendly insurance companies in the business such Esurance, Geico, and Progressive.
So keep hitting the books to keep your car insurance premiums low!